Dr. Sarah McKay is a neuroscientist who translates brain research into strategies for professionals working in health, education, and coaching. She received her Ph.D. from Oxford, but after four years of postdoc research, hung up her lab coat to set up a communications business bridging the gap between the lab and everyday life.
Sarah is the author of The Women’s Brain Book—The neuroscience of health, hormones, and happiness which explores the female lifespan through the lens of neurobiology. In 2019, Sarah hosted an episode of ABC Catalyst exploring brain health, bio-hacking, and longevity.
Sarah is the director of The Neuroscience Academy, which offers professional development training in applied neuroscience and brain health.
Sarah has been published extensively for consumers and professional audiences. She’s been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Grazia, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Mamamia, and can be seen and heard on SBS Insight, ABC Catalyst, ABC Radio National, Radio New Zealand, and Channel 7.
In this episode: Perimenopause
- Dr. McKay shares why she wrote her book the lifespan of women
- Why women were not originally included in research for medications, illness, and the brain
- Where research is heading now between the biological sexes
- Sarah shares a surprise she discovered when writing her book about women and multiple orgasms
- Science continues to evolve and removing biases
- Defining the difference between perimenopause and menopause
- What drives perimenopause and how long can it last?
- How does this impact hormones?
- Period drama-what is it?
- About 20 percent of women have severe symptoms
- Common symptoms of perimenopause and estrogen levels
- The role estrogen plays in women’s lifespan
- Disruption of sleep and brain fog-which occurs first?
- Possible psychological impact
- Speak to a trusted health professional regarding hormone replacement therapy
- Removing old fears about HRT and previous clinical trials research
- Statistics on risks of developing breast cancer and HRT
- Current research on brain health and HRT
- Neurosciences discovery on the reduction of dementia and Alzheimer’s for women
- Brain fog and forgetfulness vs dementia-a phrase to remember for distinguishing
- Adding humor to menopause
- Sarah has online courses
Thank you for listening to Soulfilled Sisterhood.
Please leave a rating and review on iTunes (click here)-This helps Soulfilled Sisterhood to be discovered more by women around the world.