Cait Wotherspoon is a psychotherapist who specializes in grief, loss, and bereavement. She has multiple degrees in nursing, teaching (from Elementry School to adults), art therapy, sandplay therapy, psychology, and psychotherapy. She has a wealth of knowledge that has been gathered from practicing in all these fields over the past 45 years. She has a thriving private practice in Penrith, in the western suburbs of Sydney, Australia, where she’s helped thousands of clients navigate through their grief to live healthy lives, understanding that grief is now a part of their life.
Cait runs monthly workshops, weekly support groups, as well as working with individuals and couples, who are dealing with the death of a loved one.
She began to specialize in grief after her first miscarriage in April 1982. She felt that she couldn’t talk to anyone about it because they would minimize her grief, so she would feel shame for sharing her story and noticed that this was the case for most women.
Cait’s passion is talking about death and grief and wants people to share their stories of loss, so that everyone understands that grief is a natural part of life and we all have to go through it.
In this episode:
- Cait shares her personal journey in coping with grief to helping others share their stories without shame or guilt
- She shares her multiple losses and how other people can struggle with not wanting to ask or talk about it
- Breaking through myths and allowing people to feel and be where they are in their bereavement
- Avoiding the discomfort and embrace the unknown
- What is the sandwich generation and preparing for the loss with your parents
- Cait shares her story about being the “coffee lady” with her mother
- Exploring your death and what you want
- Levels of grieving when dealing with a cognitive or terminal illness
- 5 Stages of grief by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
- Grief is “overwhelmingly emotion”
- Storytelling allows the person you have lost lives on in your memory
- Giving yourself permission to take time for your grieving
- Rituals and traditions in various cultures
- How sharing your stories impacts others
- Ways your body are impacted with grief and the length of time it can last
- Finding joy again
- Having a routine
Join this FREE Facebook group with other introverted and sensitive high achieving women!